January 25, 2017
American Humane has announced the official start of the 2017 American Humane Hero Dog Awards, sponsored by the Lois Pope LIFE Foundation and broadcast on September 16 as a two-hour special on Hallmark Channel. The seventh annual event identifies and honors America’s bravest heroes on both ends of the leash.
According to a press release, key dates for the 2017 American Humane Hero Dog Awards contest include:
- Nominations: January 25 to March 8
- 1st Round Voting: March 29 to May 3
- 2nd Round Voting: May 17 to June 28
- 3rd Round Voting: July 12 to August 30
- American Humane Hero Dog Awards event at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California: September 16
Dog owners across the country are invited to visit http://www.herodogawards.org and nominate their heroic hound in one of eight categories. The top dog in each category will be flown to the star-studded, red-carpet awards gala hosted by Beth Stern and James Denton at the Beverly Hilton. One of the category winners will be unveiled as the American Hero Dog of the year.
The eight categories for 2017 are:
- Law Enforcement Dogs, sponsored by the K-9 Courage Program from Zoetis
- Military Dogs, sponsored by the K-9 Courage Program from Zoetis and the Lois Pope LIFE Foundation
- Therapy Dogs
- Service Dogs, sponsored by Modern Dog magazine
- Emerging Hero Dogs, a category that pays tribute to ordinary dogs who do extraordinary things
- Arson Dogs
- Search and Rescue Dogs
- Guide/Hearing Dogs
Following the nominations period, which ends on March 8, two dozen semifinalists (the top three in each category) will be chosen in a first round of voting by celebrity judges and the public. The second round, featuring a combination of public and celebrity voting, will narrow the field to eight category finalists who will then vie for the title of 2017 American Hero Dog.
Winners in each category will earn $2,500 for a designated charity partner and the overall winner’s charity partner will win an additional $5,000. Each charity partner is dedicated to celebrating the role of working dogs in our lives, and like American Humane, celebrates the importance of the human-animal bond.
The Hero Dog Awards once again will feature a second campaign – the American Humane Hero Veterinarian and Hero Veterinary Technician Awards, sponsored by Zoetis. As of February 2, 2017, pet owners and animal lovers across America were invited to nominate their favorite animal caretakers in these two fields, with each to be honored at the Hero Dog Awards event on September 16.