March 21, 2017
The 2017 Global Pet Expo will take place March 22 to March 24, 2017 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. The event is presented by the American Pet Products Association and Pet Industry Distributors Association. According to Global Pet Expo press release, the 2017 Show will feature 1,130 exhibitors (27 percent of which are international companies), 3,435 booths and 223 first-time exhibiting companies. With more than 3,000 new product launches, Global Pet Expo will showcase the latest products available for all types of pets including dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, small animals and horses. The show has also grown in recent years with added special sections including the “International Pavilions,” “Natural Pet,” “Boutique,” “Everything Aquatic,” and “What’s New!” Global Pet Expo is open to independent retailers, distributors, mass-market buyers and other qualified media and professionals.
One of the more high-profile product launches at 2017’s Global Pet Expo is from Bissell, which is known for is cleaning solutions and floor care. BarkBath, which is the Bissell’s first dog-washing system and the company’s first portable bath system. According to a Bissell press release, the Bissell BarkBath allows pet parents to bathe their pet with virtually no mess—eliminating the inevitable clean-up that comes along with washing a four-legged family member. This all-in-one system can be used in any room of the house, anytime, with a minimal mess. The BarkBath works with any length of fur or hair and uses a no-rinse shampoo. Specially designed nozzles get beneath the fur and down to the skin to allow water and shampoo to wash the skin clean, while a soft suction pulls dirt and water away into a separate dirty water tank.
BarkBath uses less than 48 ounces of water to clean pets up to 80 pounds, compared to traditional bathing in a tub, which can use up to 19 gallons of water. The entire BarkBath system comes complete with no-rinse shampoo designed specifically for the BarkBath, a microfiber mat for the machine, a microfiber drying towel for faces and paws, and a storage bag to give pets a full grooming experience at home. Live demos of the BarkBath will take place at the Bisell booth at the Global Pet Expo. In addition, Dr. Marty Becker will be hosting a book signing copies of his new book “From Fearful to Fear Free: A Positive Program to Free Your Dog From Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias” at the Bissell booth from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. on March 23.
Petmate, a leading company for pet products, also revealed in a press release what new items it will be showcasing at the event:
Petmate debuts Calmz Anxiety Relief System for dogs combining high-tech innovation with acupressure in a revolutionary new non-invasive, drug-free treatment that soothes common anxiety that often arises as a result of thunderstorms, fireworks, encounters with strangers, travel, separation, and loud noises.
- This innovative system features an adjustable Comfort Fit Vest that holds the Calmz device over specific acupressure points on your dog’s spine. When the device is activated, the clinically proven NeuroSync Technology takes over. NeuroSync Technology combines a therapeutic medley of classical music and a specially calibrated tone to create a vibration. This multi-faceted approach eases anxiety in a completely new way.
- The system employs vestibular (audible) and peripheral sensory (tactile) stimulations to achieve test-proven anxiety relief in dogs
- Vestibular stimulation is the result of a low-frequency C-note tone that is blended with a modified version of the classical piece, Beethoven’s Für Elise
- Peripheral sensory stimulation comes from the massaging sensation generated from the device when placed on acupressure calming points along the spine
Petmate continues to expand its award-winning cat product line developed with renowned cat behavior expert and animal advocate Jackson Galaxy, star of Animal Planet’s “My Cat from Hell.” The Jackson Galaxy Collection by Petmate features captivating play products and expands into new categories including feeding and watering, litter, carriers, bedding and more. Each product speaks to natural cat behaviors – Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom and Sleep. Highlighting this year’s collection:
- The Butterfly in a Ball creates the ultimate in satisfying hunt play with its sensor-activated action that sets the butterfly fluttering within the ball when it is pushed by a stalking cat.
- The Whisker-Stress Prevention Bowl and Less-Mess Bowl feature a unique concave design to help relieve whisker stress during meals and a smooth stainless steel surface to prevent cats from developing chin acne.
Brandon McMillan Training Products
Petmate has teamed up with celebrity dog trainer Brandon McMillan, host of the Emmy-award winning Lucky Dog show on CBS TV, to debut a new line of dog training products featured in his new book, Lucky Dog Lessons.
- Shake & Break is a training tool to help stop unwanted pet behavior. The noise made by shaking the tool breaks the dog’s focus and stops bad behavior in its tracks.
- The new Lure Stick, is a treat reward training tool, designed to encourage dogs to heel, keep them from pulling on the leash and redirects their attention; it literally lures the dog back to the pet parent.
Petmate expands its popular Chuckit! toy line, offering More Ways to Play®outdoors:
- Chuckit! Breathe Right® Fetch Ball is a high performance ball designed to facilitate breathing and airflow into dogs’ lungs while running and fetching and is compatible with all Chuckit! Launchers.
Always a favorite for play time, the JW Collection, known for its durability and multifunction action, expands with new dog toys that are designed with intelligent ideas and patented manufacturing. This year’s collection features an extra element of fun with mixed materials and a new take on the popular Hol-ee® toys:
- Inspired by the best-selling Hol-ee Roller, the Hol-ee Gourmet line offers a variety of 2 in 1 treat toys that encourage dogs to play. Fill the rubber outer shell with harder larger treats and the inner nylon bone with soft spreadable treats. These fun toys are featured in the shapes of a peanut, turkey leg and steak.
K-9 Control Retractable Leash
Petmate redefines the functionality of retractable leashes for more control and safety with the first-ever leash that can be retracted in the lock mode. This new technology represents the first functional change in retractable leashes since their introduction in 1971.
- The K-9 Control Retractable Leash features the new patented Zero Slack Technology™ that keeps the leash taut while locked or in the temporary brake position. This gentle tension provides control and keeps the dog from moving forward. The owner can safely pull back the dog without worrying about excess slack.
Petmate puts a new twist on healthy eating with the new Diggin’ Diner 2 Cup Feeder.
- This unique feeder is designed to slow pet’s intake of food with a strategic opening that allows dry food to fall out at a healthy pace while encouraging physical and mental stimulation.
Finally, Spectrum Brands, Inc. – Pet, Home & Garden will have interactive elements to the portfolio of products the company will showcase at the event. The Aquatics division will be represented by Tetra brand, Marineland and Instant Ocean. Its Companion Animal division will be represented by Nature’s Miracle, Healthy Hide, Pro·Sense, LitterMaid, Dingo, FURminator, Perfect Coat, Wild Harvest and eCOTRITION. Here are more details from a press release:
Innovating the Aquatic Experience
To whet the appetite for innovations in aquatics, the Spectrum Brands, Inc. – Pet, Home & Garden booth will feature engaging videos showing the latest technologies and aquatic mobile apps, introduce new products and marketing tools to support the retailers and showcase a recent scientific breakthrough through the University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory (UFTAL).
- Celebrating Heritage, Innovating the Future of Fishkeeping
Tetra and Marineland are celebrating years of aquatics industry heritage at our booth with a timeline showcasing how we have innovated and evolved. While we are rooted in history, the future of fishkeeping is a focus as well. Tetra and GloFish brands will showcase new programs designed to introduce potential hobbyists of all ages to fishkeeping with educational content, new GloFish® characters and Macaroni Kid events.
- Experiencing a GloFish Gallery
Pet retailers can Experience the Glo in a darkened room dedicated to GloFish Fluorescent Fish, offering a very unique aquatic experience. A live aquarium will be filled with brilliantly-colored tetras, barbs and danios and the latest GloFish line décor and accessories. Under the new GloFish Cycle Light, visitors will watch the environment transform before their eyes. The GloFish Color-Changing Background, Plants and Ornaments change colors as the lighting rotates through a cycle of blue LED, black LED and white light.
- Innovating Aquatics with Tetra Brand My Aquarium App
The video for Tetra brand My Aquarium App will show the latest innovations that aquatic retailers can offer customers to keep them organized and makes maintenance simpler so they have more time on their hands to enjoy their fish. To demonstrate the My Aquarium App experience, a station of tablets will be available to show its features including instant recommendations as well as custom notifications for food dispensing, water changes, water testing, filtration, etc. Additionally, visitors can watch the YouTube video campaign, featuring The Bergmans, a big and busy family who uses the My Aquarium App to make aquarium maintenance easier and have fishkeeping expertise at their fingertips to maintain their beautiful, healthy aquarium.
- Instant Ocean Features UFTAL’s breakthrough culturing First Pacific Blue Tang in captivity
Instant Ocean® will feature presentations from members of the team of scientists from the University of Florida’s Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory (UFTAL) who were the first to breed Pacific Blue Tangs (Paracanthurus hepatus) in captivity in an aquatic environment using Instant Ocean®. Assistant Professor Dr. Matthew DiMaggio and Assistant Extension Scientist Eric Cassiano will present from 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on March 22 and March 23, 2017, which will also be streamed live on Facebook. They will share their perspectives on this historic achievement. Attendees will have direct access to ask questions, see photos and footage, and learn insights on how captive propagation could affect commercial production protocols and conservation efforts in the future.
Improving the Pet Owner Experience
Because dogs, cats, birds, and small animals are all big parts of the personal and professional lives of Global Pet Expo attendees, the Spectrum Brands, Inc. – Pet, Home & Garden booth will also host attractive, interactive displays that introduce new Companion Animal packaging and formulations. The theme of the Companion Animal displays is interaction, so the booth will have sensory stations for our Nature’s Miracle, LitterMaid, Pro·Sense, Healthy Hide and Digest-eeze brands.
- Promoting a Balance Between Pet Parenting and Home Ownership
To continue its “Trust the Miracle” campaign, Nature’s Miracle® will demonstrate how “Pet Parents Can Have Nice Things.” The beautiful white lounge of the Nature’s Miracle® area announces new formulas for long-term odor elimination, as well as new delivery systems for cleaning carpet. As a long-standing cornerstone product, Nature’s Miracle® will proudly debut its new packaging to give visitors a glimpse at the evolving design of the brand.
- Catering to Cat Lovers
Because every cat has different litter box needs, LitterMaid and Nature’s Miracle are highlighting the range of litter products available for consumers to deal with the toughest litter box odors. The area also details the ways pet retailers can educate their consumers on proper usage of litter.
- Treating Dogs Right
Healthy Hide and Digest-eeze have teamed up to bring pet retailers up close and personal with their lines of gourmet dog treats. This area focuses on digestive health and lists each product’s number of ingredients, recommended age for feeding, chew time, digestibility and added benefits. Under this display, visitors will be able to examine and interact with each line’s products and packaging.
- Providing Affordable Care Products for Pets
Expanding on the interaction theme of Companion Animal, Pro·Sense is bringing its dental, itch and joint health solutions out for display. Visitors will get to check out a video and the new look of each product. This area promotes the idea that pet owners can use Pro·Sense products to care for their pets the same way they take care of themselves.
- Solving the Pet Hair Problem
Education is the most important part in the fight against pet hair. That’s why the FURminator area details the grooming tasks pet parents should perform daily, weekly and monthly. Each activity is tied to FURminator products, so visitors will know the proper grooming regimen and solutions to recommend to consumers. To help pet retailers understand FURminator consumers even better, this area profiles the “FURminator ProSumer,” the individual most likely to seek out pet grooming products and education.
- Making Pets Jump for Joy
The lively Dingo display wastes no time showing why the right assortment and selection of rawhide dog bones, dog chews and dog treats can increase sales. This area shows off the new look of Dingo packaging for its flavored/standard rawhide, rawhide alternative, benefit added, and its soft, chewy and crunchy varieties. Visitors will also learn consumer statistics they can use to strategize their store’s product offerings.