August 22, 2022
The following is a press release from MTV:
2022 “VMAs” announce Pre-Show Performers and Social Categories
Doja Cat, Harry Styles and Jack Harlow now tied for most noms (8)
· Dove Cameron, MTV PUSH artist Saucy Santana and Yung Gravy are set to perform during the 2022 “VMAs” Pre-Show airing LIVE on Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 6:30PM ET/PT. Hosted by Nessa and Kevan Kenney, the 90-minute event will feature coverage from multi-platinum selling artist Tate McRae, who joins as a special celebrity correspondent. Murda Beatz will be the Kraft Singles House DJ.
· Fans can also watch the 2022 “VMAs” Pre-Show on Twitter @MTV starting at 6:15PM ET, featuring additional digital exclusive breaks – including retrospective red carpet fashion, jaw-dropping celebrity stage moments from “VMAs” past, and celebratory reviews of today’s biggest performers and nominees.
· Dove Cameron
· The rising superstar is nominated for her first Moon Person in the “Best New Artist” category, Presented by EXTRA(R) Gum. The singer and actress will make her “VMAs” Pre-Show debut with a sure to be showstopping performance.
· Saucy Santana
· The current MTV Global PUSH Artist for the month of August and hitmaking rapper will take over the “VMAs” Pre-Show stage for a performance of his smash single “Booty.”
· Yung Gravy
· The MC known for his RIAA certified platinum-hits “Mr. Clean” and “1 Thot 2 Thot Red Thot Blue Thot” as well as his new chart-topping single “Betty (Get Money)” joins the star-studded lineup of Pre-Show performers.
· Social Categories:
· GROUP OF THE YEAR: Beginning Monday, August 22, 2022 at 11AM ET, fans can vote for “Group Of The Year” in bracket-style voting on @MTV’s Instagram Story through Thursday, August 25, 2022. The (8) nominees are:
· City Girls
· Foo Fighters
· Imagine Dragons
· Red Hot Chili Peppers
· Silk Sonic
· SONG OF THE SUMMER: Beginning Thursday, August 25, 2022, at 11AM ET, fans can vote for “Song Of The Summer” via tap to vote on @MTV’s Instagram Story through Saturday, August 27th. The (16) nominees are:
· Bad Bunny & Chencho Corleone – “Me Porto Bonito”
· Beyoncé – “BREAK MY SOUL”
· Charlie Puth – “Left And Right (featuring Jung Kook of BTS)”
· Doja Cat – “Vegas (From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ELVIS)”
· Future featuring Drake, Tems – “WAIT FOR U”
· Harry Styles – “Late Night Talking”
· Jack Harlow – “First Class”
· Kane Brown – “Grand”
· Latto x Mariah Carey – “Big Energy (Remix) featuring DJ Khaled”
· Lizzo – “About Damn Time”
· Marshmello x Khalid – “Numb”
· Nicki Minaj – “Super Freaky Girl”
· Nicky Youre, dazy – “Sunroof”
· Post Malone with Doja Cat – “I Like You (A Happier Song)”
· ROSALÍA – “BIZCOCHITO”
· Steve Lacy – “Bad Habit”
· ALBUM OF THE YEAR: Beginning Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 11AM ET, fans can vote for “Album Of The Year” via tap to vote @MTV’s Instagram Story through show. The (5) nominees are:
· Adele – 30
· Bad Bunny – Un Verano Sin Ti
· Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
· Drake – Certified Lover Boy
· Harry Styles – Harry’s House
Previously announced “VMAs” news includes:
· VMAs EMCEES: LL Cool J, Nicki Minaj and Jack Harlow are set to anchor the 2022 “VMAs,” introducing the night’s biggest moments and star-studded lineup of performers, presenters and winners. (more info)
· PERFORMERS: Anitta, BLACKPINK, J Balvin, Jack Harlow, Kane Brown, Lizzo, Måneskin, Marshmello x Khalid, Nicki Minaj, Panic! At The Disco and Red Hot Chili Peppers are among the can’t-miss performers set to take the iconic MTV stage. Additional names to be announced soon (more info).
· GLOBAL ICON AWARD: Red Hot Chili Peppers will receive the prestigious Global Icon Award and perform live at the 2022 “VMAs” (more info).
· VIDEO VANGUARD AWARD: Global superstar Nicki Minaj will receive MTV’s coveted honor and perform live on the show (more info).
· NOMINATIONS: Doja Cat, Jack Harlow and Harry Styles now lead with the most nominations (8), followed by Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Lil Nas X (7), Billie Eilish (6); BTS, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Future, Lizzo, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd (5) closely follow. Full list here.
· VOTING: Fans can vote for their favorites across 22 gender-neutral categories by visiting vote.mtv.com through today, Friday, August 19, 2022 thanks to Burger King(R). Voting for “Best New Artist,” presented by EXTRA(R) Gum, remains active into show.
· THE VMAs EXPERIENCE ON ROBLOX: As a companion to the first-ever “Best Metaverse Performance” category, fans launch into a custom Moon Person immersive experience, complete with a virtual red carpet, music and dance themed activities, exclusive in-game experience rewards, and can vote through today for their favorite “Best Metaverse” performance (more info).
· SPONSORS: Official sponsors of the 2022 “VMAs” include Burger King(R), Clearblue(R), DESCOVY(R), Doritos(R), EXTRA(R) Gum, Instacart, Kraft Singles, Pepsi(R), Swiffer and Toyota Motor North America.
· CREDITS: Bruce Gillmer and Den of Thieves co-founder Jesse Ignjatovic are Executive Producers; Barb Bialkowski is Co-Executive Producer. Alicia Portugal and Jackie Barba serve as Executives in Charge of Production. Wendy Plaut is Executive in Charge of Celebrity Talent. Lisa Lauricella is Music Talent Executive.
September 25, 2022 UPDATE:
· Global rap icons Eminem and Snoop Dogg will transform the “VMAs” stage for a first of its kind performance of “From the D 2 The LBC” inspired by the world of the Otherside metaverse. We partnered with Yuga Labs to bring this creative to life. The 2022 “VMAs” air LIVE from Prudential Center on Sunday, August 28 at 8PM ET/PT!
· Eminem and Snoop Dogg are up for “Best Hip Hop” with “From The D 2 The LBC,” the first collaboration between the hip hop megastars in over 20 years.
· Eminem will perform for the first time in 12 years, last performing “Not Afraid” and “Love the Way You Lie” in 2010. The 60x nominated superstar is the second most nominated artist in “VMAs” history, trailing only Madonna with 69. He has won 13x, making him one of the top 5 artists with the most wins. He recently released his second greatest hits album, “Curtain Call 2”.
· Snoop Dogg will perform for the first time on the “VMAs” stage in 17 years, last performing with Diddy and the Notorious B.I.G. in 2005. The 13x nominee has won 3x including his first year nominated for “Best Rap Video” (1994) with “Doggy Dogg World.”
About Paramount Media Networks & MTV Entertainment Studios:
Paramount Media Networks & MTV Entertainment Studios is one of the preeminent media entities in the world that connects with global audiences through its nine iconic brands – MTV, Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, Pop, Logo, Smithsonian, Paramount Network and TV Land – as well as MTV Entertainment Studios which produces acclaimed series and movies and the award-winning, Oscar-nominated MTV Documentary Films.
About Prudential Center:
Prudential Center is the world-class sports and entertainment venue located in downtown Newark, New Jersey. Opened in October 2007, the state-of-the-art arena is the home of the National Hockey League’s (NHL) three-time Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall University’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program, and more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events each year. Ranked in the Top 8 nationally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center is recognized as one of the premier venues in the United States, and hosts over 2 million guests annually. For more information about Prudential Center, visit PruCenter.com and follow the arena on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @PruCenter. Prudential Center is a Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment property.