February 2, 2017
Naomi Campbell and several children of celebrities are starring in a new Gap promotional campaign to launch of a limited-edition collection—the ‘90’s Archive Re-Issue—for men and women featuring styles from the 1990s, including the Bodysuit, Reverse Fit and Easy Fit Denim, Pleated Khakis and the Pocket Tee, available online and in select stores globally as of February 7, 2017.
To launch the collection, Gap collaborated with director Kevin Calero to create “Generation Gap,” a film that pays tribute to the famous Gap ads of the ’90’s, with references to the retro hits “Mellow Yellow,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and “Just Can’t Get Enough” and updated with a modern twist. Set to an a cappella version of Color Me Badd’s 1992 hit “All 4 Love,” the short film is a nod to the past and a celebration of the next generation as they re-imagine the Gap looks in their own unique style.
The “Generation Gap” cast includes:
- Lizzy Jagger, daughter of Jerry Hall and Mick Jagger, wears her take on the classic black Bodysuit that her mother flaunted in 1991.
“The classic look for anyone is not just a ’90’s look. The white t-shirt and jeans look has gone through the decades and is still around, and I think of that as being really Gap,” said Jagger in a Gap press release.
- TJ Mizell, son of Jam Master Jay of Run-DMC, wears the iconic Gap Logo Sweatshirt that his father wore in the “Original Fit Jeans” commercial in 1990.
“I feel honored. Being part of anything Run DMC is a huge honor for me and being able to back up my father’s legacy with Gap,” said Mizell.
- Evan Ross, son of Diana Ross, wears the sleeveless Logo Tee as a tribute to his mother who wore a simple tank in her 1991 ad.
“Gap can transcend all eras. It still feels relevant. It looks like what we would be wearing right now … it is at the cusp of what we’re doing right now,” said Ross.
- Chelsea Tyler, daughter of Steven Tyler, wears the sleeveless Tee and Reverse Pleated Jeans channeling her dad’s “Easy Fit Jeans” commercial from 1997.
“Gap is taking something so classic that we all know and is so quintessential in our minds but has a new spin and current feeling to it,” said Tyler.
- Rumer Willis, daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, wears the Cropped Denim Jacket, similar to the one her mother wore in her 1990 ad, with the Henley Bodysuit.
“Gap was really the first brand to come out of the box… and do different and interesting things,” said Willis.
- Coco Gordon, daughter of Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon (who wore the Pocket Tee in her 1990 ad), wears the navy Icon Leather Jacket, black short-sleeve Mockneck Tee and High Rise Denim Short in the film.
“My mom always bought me Gap clothes … we definitely went to the Gap for my cool clothes,” said Gordon.
- Model, actress and activist Naomi Campbell, who was shot wearing the Pocket Tee in her 1992 ad by Steven Meisel, wears the Pocket Tee re-issue in the film.
“It’s an honor to be here, in the same outfit that I wore 20 years ago in my Gap ad,” said Campbell. “The creativity in the ’90s is something I’m so grateful that I got to be a part of and to see and to learn from and to draw inspiration from.”