January 11, 2024
The following is a press release from Warner Bros. Discovery:
Puppy Bowl, the original and longest running call-to-adoption television event, returns for a 20th year on Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 2PM ET / 11AM PT and will be simulcast across Animal Planet, Discovery, TBS, truTV, Max and discovery+.
The three-hour television matchup will be the biggest yet, featuring 131 puppies, 73 shelters and rescues across 36 states and territories – including the all-time smallest pup, Sweetpea, at 1.7 lbs and the biggest, Levi the Great Dane at 72 lbs. Inspiring adoption stories will highlight the dedication and incredible work of rescues and shelters, as puppies from Team Ruff and Team Fluff take to the gridiron in the Puppy Bowl XX stadium to win the WAYFAIR® “Lombarky” trophy and find their forever homes. To celebrate 20 years of the game, four previous Puppy Bowl players return to be inducted into the all-new Puppy Bowl Hall of Fame.
The game kicks off when the PEDIGREE® Starting Lineup players take to the field. Dash, a Pomeranian/pug, and Maggie, a chow chow/American Staffordshire terrier representing the US Virgin Islands for the first time, will compete for Team Fluff while Tater, an Australian cattle dog/German shepherd, and Peanut Pretzel, a pug from Los Angeles, will look to bring Team Ruff to victory. As the game progresses, it will be revealed which puppy player has what it takes to be named the MVP (Most Valuable Puppy) or to win the SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. Underdog Award.
Six special needs puppy players will also be introduced including Riddle, a pug terrier who suffers from the neurological condition cerebellar hypoplasia; Mr. Bean, a papillon who only has his two hind legs; and four pups who don’t let their deafness slow them down on the gridiron.
For the first time ever, puppies are taking over the show’s production by operating the cameras and lighting, directing from the control room, stage managing on the studio floor and even coaching Team Ruff and Team Fluff. Puppy Bowl referee Dan Schachner returns for his 13th year and for the first time, will have a puppy assistant coach, Whistle, who helps him call the plays and fumbles. With new camera angles, including a ref GoPro camera and wide-angle shot from the goal posts, viewers will experience getting nose-to-nose with the puppies. Fan-favorite elements including the slo-mo cam, NEXGARD® Brand Products blimp, the coveted water-bowl cam and the TEMPTATIONS™ Skybox kittens will return alongside sportscasters Steve Levy and Taylor Rooks providing play-by-play commentary between Team Ruff and Team Fluff.
Puppy Bowl XX begins with the annual pre-game show at 1PM ET/ 10AM PT on Animal Planet, going behind-the-scenes on the Puppy Bowl draft with exclusive interviews with coaches and players. Puppy Bowl fans will also learn more about each player’s breed mix and other unique traits from the Wisdom Panel™ pet DNA test that could help determine who will have a furry leg-up on the field. The pre-game show will check in with the BISSELL® Pet Foundation to see how they are continuing to make an impact with their rescue mission efforts and will also provide a first-look at the Kitty Halftime Show presented by ARM & HAMMER™ SLIDE™.
Also returning are the SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. “Pup Close and Personal” segments that share some of the all-star athletes’ backstories. Featured will be Baltimore Ravens’ Ronnie Stanley’s rescue foundation which trains dogs, including hound Linus, to support people with special needs; and Beignet, a New Orleans dachshund, who gets a nose to tail makeover before the big game.
Puppy Bowl’s annual ‘Adoptable Pup’ segments sponsored by PEDIGREE ® features puppies – and a few kittens – from 14 shelters and rescues across the country that will be available for adoption during the game. Country singer and adoption advocate Miranda Lambert will introduce the first segment, as her non-profit, MuttNation, will feature a senior dog seeking their forever home.
Following Puppy Bowl XX, TBS’ new series hosted by comedian and actress Sarah Silverman, “Stupid Pet Tricks,” will premiere with a special multi-network sneak peek across TBS, Discovery, truTV and Animal Planet on Sunday, February 11 at 5PM ET/ 2PM PT.
In celebration of Puppy Bowl XX, Warner Bros. Discovery is partnering with Best Friends Animal Society, a leading national animal welfare organization, to help animals find their loving homes and will match donations to cover adoption fees for their pet lifesaving centers nationwide from February 7-14. Text PUPPY to 707070 or head to PuppyBowl.com/donate to double your impact or find a shelter near you.
Audiences can follow the conversation on social media with #PuppyBowl, and follow Animal Planet on Facebook, X, Instagram, and TikTok, as well as Puppy Bowl on Facebook for more updates.
Keep checking PuppyBowl.com for more information on the participating pups, the full photo gallery, and to vote on which pup you want to win the Pupularity Playoffs. Enjoy the spirit of Puppy Bowl at home with the official Puppy Bowl XX Collection, a curated assortment of apparel and accessories for you and your dog, available at PuppyBowl.com/shop.
Official Puppy Bowl XX sponsors include ARM & HAMMER™ SLIDE™, BISSELL®, MAYTAG™, NEXGARD® Brand Products, the PEDIGREE® brand, RING, SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC., TEMPTATIONS™, WISDOM PANEL™ and WAYFAIR®.
ANIMAL PLANET DRIVES IMPACT FOR PET ADOPTION WITH PARTNERSHIPS TO CELEBRATE 20 YEARS OF PUPPY BOWL
In celebration of the three-hour matchup featuring 131 puppies, 73 shelters and rescues across 36 states and territories, Animal Planet has paired with marketing and multiplatform partners to build opportunities for fans to experience Puppy Bowl. Best Friends Animal Society, Funny Face Bakery, National Football League Players Association, and Wag! join returning collaborators Bark Social, Grounds and Hounds, Pooch Perks, Southwest Airlines, and Valpak to support Puppy Bowl and raise awareness to find animals their forever homes.
“For the 20th anniversary of Puppy Bowl, we made this beloved pop culture event bigger and better than ever. In addition to working with a group of amazing brands and extending our reach, a big goal for our team was to drive more impact for pet adoption than ever before. Each one of our partnerships gives our fans fun ways to join the Puppy Bowl celebration but also drives awareness for shelters across the country,” said Karen Bronzo, Chief Marketing Officer, U.S. Networks Group, Warner Bros. Discovery.
This year’s Puppy Bowl partners include:
· Bark Social – Bark Social, the premier social club for dogs and dog lovers, will be hosting Puppy Bowl XX watch parties on Sunday, Feb. 11 from 1PM to 5PM ET at their Bethesda, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Alexandria locations. Bark Social’s venue hosts a professionally monitored off-leash yard and features a fully stocked bar/beer garden and cafe ready for happy hours, sports games, trivia, drag shows, and more. Cheer for Team Ruff or Team Fluff with your furry best friend while grabbing a drink, playing games, winning prizes, and enjoying delicious bites with lots of chances for social media-worthy moments. Attendees can even go home with their own new MVP from one of the on-site adoption experiences. For more details, please visit www.barksocial.com or @bark_social.
· Best Friends Animal Society – In celebration of Puppy Bowl XX, Best Friends Animal Society, a leading animal welfare organization working to end the killing of cats and dogs in Americas shelters by 2025, will be waiving adoption fees from February 7 – 14 at their pet lifesaving centers across the country. Additionally, over 150 of Best Friends shelter and rescue group partners will also be participating in the fee-waived week. To find a participating shelter or rescue near you, visit bestfriends.org/puppybowl.
· Funny Face Bakery – Funny Face Bakery has partnered with Puppy Bowl to offer the ultimate treat bundle for pets and their humans. Their meme-worthy decorated cookies will be offered alongside special dog treats to celebrate the big game. Visit Funny Face Bakery or follow them on Instagram and TikTok (@funnyfacebakery) for more information.
· Grounds and Hounds – Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co. and Animal Planet have partnered together to create The Official Fuel of Puppy Bowl. For this limited release collaboration, the perfect blend was created to accompany a cozy winter morning with your best friend. Blending the highest-grade beans from Guatemala and Papua New Guinea, Grounds and Hounds developed the most aromatic and smooth Medium Roast blend to date. Each purchase of the exclusive Puppy Bowl Blend will include a complimentary official Puppy Bowl Game Day Bandana.
· Pooch Perks – Pooch Perks is the leading dog subscription box service dedicated to pampering furry family members. In collaboration with Puppy Bowl XX, a special selection of toys and treats have been curated to complement both Puppy Bowl and the month of LOVE in February. Each Pooch Perks Puppy Bowl Box comes with the official Puppy Bowl XX bandana, football & valentines themed toys and yummy treats and toys that both pets and owners will enjoy while watching Puppy Bowl.
· National Football League Players Association – The NFL Players Association (NFLPA) partnered with Animal Planet to connect dog lovers in the league with adoptable pups from Operation Paws for Homes for the ultimate puppy play date. Baltimore Ravens players Zay Flowers and Patrick Queen spent the afternoon with these pups as they tested their pet knowledge, discussed their experience with dog adoption, and participated in a few puppy piles. Follow @animalplanet and @nflpa on Instagram to see the fun moments.
· Southwest Airlines – Those flying on Southwest Airlines(R) during the month of February can enjoy Puppy Bowl content via the Inflight Entertainment Portal. Flyers can check out Animal Planet’s Puppy Bowl On Demand TV series to watch past Puppy Bowl favorite games and moments, including Puppy Bowl XIX, and an exclusive video, “Journey to Puppy Bowl,” which follows three puppies as they flew on Southwest to the cutest game in sports. Want to bring your own four-legged friend with you onboard? Southwest allows small dogs and cats to travel in-cabin in an approved carrier.
· Valpak – From the mailbox to the gridiron, Valpak is all about tackling savings. Valpak is helping Puppy Bowl celebrate its 20th anniversary with a takeover of the iconic blue envelope, offering one fan the chance to score a $10,000 sweepstakes prize. Plus, inside select envelopes, there’s a chance to win $100 towards the adoption fee for a new best friend.
· Wag! – Wag! is partnering with Puppy Bowl XX to celebrate the love and joy of pets by offering $10 off pet care when you use code PUPPYBOWL. Plus, Wag! will be matching donations made through the Wag! app to Best Friends Animal Society, up to a total of $10,000, between now and the big game.
Multi-platform elements for Puppy Bowl XX can be found on PuppyBowl.com, including photo galleries, Meet the Players-style videos, and adoption page for animals in need of a home. The “Pupularity Playoffs” bracket returns for the fourth consecutive year as fans vote on the Most Pupular player in the starting lineup. Following a month of on-air placements and social promotion, the winner of the bracket will be revealed in the pre-game show on Animal Planet.
Puppy Bowl superfans can also show their team spirit using Puppy Bowl stickers/GIFs pack that are available on GIPHY and in-app on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and more. These are designed to add game day flair to viewers’ social posts, texts, and emails. AR filters are also available on Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok for fans to join the fun. The “Puppy Presser” allows users to share a spotlight moment with their pet, while “Puppy Bowl Gameday” creates an immersive experience, placing a viewer on the Puppy Bowl field for a touchdown and being chased by puppy players.
Viewers can also share their pets enjoying the game by posting photos on social media using #PuppyBowl for a chance to be featured on TV during the telecast.
Puppy Bowl XX is produced for Animal Planet by Bright Spot Content, an All3Media America company.
About Warner Bros. Discovery:
Warner Bros. Discovery is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates and distributes the world’s most differentiated and complete portfolio of content and brands across television, film and streaming. Available in more than 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Warner Bros. Discovery inspires, informs and entertains audiences worldwide through its iconic brands and products including: Discovery Channel, Max, discovery+, CNN, DC, Eurosport, HBO, HGTV, Food Network, OWN, Investigation Discovery, TLC, Magnolia Network, TNT, TBS, truTV, Travel Channel, MotorTrend, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group, Warner Bros. Television Group, Warner Bros. Pictures Animation, Warner Bros. Games, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies, Discovery en Español, Hogar de HGTV and others. For more information, please visit www.wbd.com.